[MiNT] Bios question

Hello!

At first: I'm new to this list.
I once used an ST, but this is about 8 Years ago. Now I use STonX and hope
to get some more information about MiNT and all the stuff around from here.
So - greetings to you all!

I'm coding a bit on STonX in the moment. One basic question came up for me:
Where is the exact cut between MiNT and BIOS/XBIOS? Would it be possible to
set up MiNT on a "native" new BIOS for STonX? Imagine STonX were a real new
computer. Then it would have an BIOS as an interface to the hardware. In
STonX this would - for shure - be an interface to the underlying Linux or
whatever. There must be something like this be done for MacMint.

So does MiNT sit on top of BIOS/XBIOS, or are there direct hardware acesses
for performance, or whatever? Does it use just traps?

Thanks in advance,
Martin