Re: [MiNT] MiNT-Net under FreeMiNT 1.15.12

Hi,

Thanks to everybody that send replies to my original mail. Those of you
suggesting that the slip.xif was not in the correct place, extra thanks
that was indeed the cause of my original problem regarding the message:

Sorry - this system lack PPP kernel support

So now I am close to my aim of getting MiNT-Net configure howvever something
is still holding me back.

Invoking:
 pppd call erc

seems to do something... causes one of the lights on my modem to flash momentarily
(the same one that turns off when powering up the falcon). It is the right device
(ttyb) as defined in /etc/ppp/options, as when I change it to another device
the light ceases to flash when pppd is invoke. That part is okay. If I had /dev
infront of ttyb the pppd would generate error messages about devices.

BTW: I find in all the scripts I must define devices as U:/dev/devname and
scripts that define them as /dev/devicename complain about file not found
errors.

I do not have a Serial port CPX installed so that it can't interfere with the
behaviour of pppd.

# Example options
# for the MiNT-Net for lamers project

# Enter the serial device (ttya=modem1 etc.)
ttyb

# Device speed
57600

the /etc/ppp/peers/erc file contains the following:

# Example for /etc/ppp/peers
# for th MiNT-Net for lamers project

# Please change nothing below this point
crtscts
lock
modem
debug
noipdefault
defaultroute
-vj
asyncmap 0
noauth
netmask 255.255.255.0

# The values for mru and mtu you get from you provider
mru 1500
mtu 1500

# Put your user word (This is an example!)
user myuname

# At this point chat is executed with the chat script
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f u:/etc/ppp/pppchat.erc"

I noted that the the /usr/sbin/chat was defined as /usr/etc/sbin
an obvious fault in the original distribution!

If I didn't have u:/etc the pppchat file could not be found.

The contents of u:/etc/ppp/pppchat.erc

REPORT CONNECT
TIMEOUT 60
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT BUSY
ABORT ERROR
"" ATZ
OK atL0
OK atdt0386600000
CONNECT

In summary,
I get some modem activity in the form of one flashing light.
There is still a problem where pppd appear to not be calling chat to
actually dial... this is what I think is happening because I can have the line
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f u:/etc/ppp/pppchat.erc" disable or enabled with
the same results.

In fact I can have ALL lines in the erc file commented out and the same thing
happens, it is like it can't get past the options file and source the file
/etc/ppp/peers/erc

So I don't get on off hook and a dial session yet.

Is there anything obvious to anyone in the above?

I think there may something a bit odd with my pathing as I must put u: for
file arguments in commands in these script files whereas the originals didn't have
that.

Thanks for your help sofar everybody.

Cheers,
Anthony