Re: [MiNT] OSMD - introduction (fwd)

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001 12:49:37 -0500, Frederic Fouche wrote:

>Just an idea, but:
>
>Would it be a good idea to propose a WEB based solution?
>Lemme explain:

<snip>

Some interesting ideas Fred.

I'd like to mention another idea.  I've had this idea myself
and others have suggested it to me.  It would not solve the problem
of the first installation, it's a solution for people wanting to
stay current with MiNT, but do not know where to find or how
to deal with tgz files and the like.  The idea is similiar to
the MAC intallation manager.  For anyone that has not seen this
it works like this:

The users has a working setup with an internet connection, this
is assumed, as I sais this is a solution for maintaining a MiNT
setup, and not for the first ever installation.

They start the installation manager, and it connects to the
net (a server I assume) where the information for all the latest
offical releases are stored, versions and such.  It then looks
at the users system and compares the info, it then generates
a list of suggestions, modules and apps that are out of date and
prompts the user which ones to download.  After download they
are depacked and installed, the installation manager exits
allowing the user the option to reboot.

I understand the frustration users have with the first ever installation
and I know this if of no help to them.  I don't know if this is a
workable idea, or even a good idea, but it's an idea.  ;-)

Lonny Pursell    atari AT bright DOT net    www.bright.net/~atari/