Re: [MiNT] PLIP

On Sat, 08 Sep 2001 20:02:40 +0200, Dennis van der Burg wrote:

> 192.168.0.10 FALCON
> 192.168.0.11 MEGAST

> When I now try to run pppd (version 2.3.11) simultaniously on both
> sides (this is what one would do for using PPP across a nullmodem
> /direct serial connection), with

You don't use PPP on plip-connections. As the name suggests, plip is
a variant of slip, and you set it up pretty much the same way.

This is how you should do it:

On both machines, you run ifconfig with the following parameters:

(Falcon) ifconfig pl0 192.168.0.10 dstaddr 192.168.0.11
(Mega)   ifconfig pl0 192.168.0.11 dstaddr 192.168.0.10

...where xxx... is the IP-address of the local machine, and yyy... the
address of the machine on the other side of the cable.

Then you set up the routing-table on each machine. On the one connected
to the rest of your network, or the internet, you just add a route to
the other machine (assuming that the Falcon is your gateway):

route add pl0 192.168.0.11

On the Mega you must add a default address and gateway:

route add default pl0 gw 192.168.0.10

Beware that I've just taken this from memory, but I believe it's correct.
If ifconfig og route reports any error, read their respective docs.

/*
** Jo Even Skarstein    http://home.nvg.org/~joska/
*/