Re: [MiNT] OSMD - introduction (fwd)

On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Michael Schwingen wrote:

> Thats the problem I have. "Write a wrapper that will do it" is a bit
> different from having the feature designed into the system from the
> beginning.

Whether you call it a wrapper or not is just a question of definition. Apt
just makes wise use of the ability of the package manager to check
versions, dependencies, execute install/remove scripts and download
packages. (Both package managers had these abilities from the beginning.)
This is no more or less a wrapper than any RPM tool that does
the same. The only difference is that a version for RPM is not completely
integrated in the distribution of the package manager itself (yet).

Personally I'm not prejudiced towards any of the two package managers, but
I never like it when I see one is praised over the other just because of
some nifty tools supplied with it when they say nothing about the system
itself. That's the mistake most of the world is making with Windows today.

Just my 2 eurocents :)

Maurits.

--

 |                 BassMent Productions - Freedom of creativity!|
 | Music productions - Projects - Internet presence - Webdesign |___
 |                     http://www.bassment.nu/                  |  |
                             |      http://www.muzikanten.nu/      |
                             | Het muzikantennetwerk van Nederland |