Re: [MiNT] desktop from components

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 16:00, Thomas Binder wrote:
> The problem is: How to make them faster without dropping support
> for machines without a PMMU? The main problem is that upon fork(),
> the complete data/bss segment is duplicated and swapped on each
> task switch that activates the process currently "swapped out".

that reminds me that some people claimed that they were working on
virtual memory for MiNT040. But that's been several years ago and
nothing noticable happened since then.

> There's no real solution for this that works without a PMMU. And
> having / maintaining code that works on both PMMU and non-PMMU
> equipped machines is a PITA.

If it's such a PITA I'd vote for giving up on nonPMMU machines. PMMU
machines are available for 11 years already and got quite cheap during
last years. It should not be a problem for a serious Atari user to
upgrade to PMMU machine - or start using ARAnyM, which is for free.

Petr