Re: [MiNT] desktop from components

Hi!

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Thomas Binder wrote:

> For a start, do something like
>
> time /bin/ls -lF /bin | wc
>
> in a shell and compare the result with opening /bin in Thing,
> jinnee or any other desktop. (Note: I haven't tested this, I only
> assume the "winner" will be the desktop).

OK, I would thought the architecture as microkernel one. The applications
or components (in SLBs or any other "shared" libs) would be linked via
e.g. AV_PROTOCOLL (or equivalent) or better with something like MS COM
equivalent. This architecture is not that dificult to get using
contemporary tools and features of FreeMiNT.
The desktop would then actually be a bunch of GEM applications where one
of which would be the filemanager providing only the directory windows and
beeing able to call other applications if any action is made on a file
entry. Jinnee has some sort of GEMScript driven plugnins working in a
similar manner. But the new destop would e.g. call some other application
responsible for the popup handling, keyboard shortcuts etc....
There can be the file type detection using e.g. the unix 'file' tool
algorithms and settings. All these 'components' might be a separate .SLB
or whatever dynamicaly loaded....
Lets design such an environment!

best regards

STan