From: Lonny Pursell <atari@q1.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 10:03:52 -0500
To: Petr Stehlik <joy@sophics.cz>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] Future (was Re: MiNT 1.16)

on 10/31/02 4:45 AM, Petr Stehlik at joy@sophics.cz wrote:

> On Po, 2002-10-28 at 18:19, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
>>> I'm not very much at home in cvs, compiling my own binaries from the
>>> latest sources, and stuff like that. How far away is MiNT 1.16a from an
>>> official public release, or a public beta version ?
>>
>> If you mean 1.15.12 as 'official', 1.16a is definitely more advanced. You
>> can take a look at a list of changes at
>>
>> http://wh58-508.st.uni-magdeburg.de/cvs/ChangeLog.freemint
>
> Also, where are we going with the FreeMiNT in the future? What is the
> direction? When will it become a full featured Unix like OS with e.g.
> virtual memory? Several people promised to work on it many years ago but
> no code was ever commited, IIRC.

Why the need for virtual memory, I thought the virtual atari with huge
memories solved this?  I'm just curious.  I always thought virtual memory
would knock performance down anyway.

> Guys, it would be great to wake up and get the ball rolling again. This
> slow, hidden, quiet development doesn't attract anyone... Is the MiNT
> alive yet? That's the question.

I've nearly finished a GEM tool to manage the MINT.CNF file.
Some have said on usenet it's to hard to setup.  Editing a text file is
rather compicated for some I guess.  ;-)

> I'd like to hear from Guido again. And from Jo Even, and from all the
> other great guys that were working on FreeMiNT system or applications.
>
> And please note that we have been working on a new Atari machine for
> nearly three years now and we are very close to our goal now. Simply
> everybody of you can now get a very powerful 68040 based machine for
> running FreeMiNT OS. There's no problem with small memory, overfilled
> harddrive or slow processor anymore. We have solved this. Now if you
> could wake up and start working on the great OS again..

So far I've not had any of those problems on my Hades060.  However,
at least there is a 'virtual' solution for others.   I would like to see
a new official mint release though.  I've been using 1.16 and it works
pretty darn good thus far.

Lonny Pursell    http://www.q1.net/~atari/