Re: [MiNT] Shutdown() discussion

Hi!

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 08:38, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
> > ago. IIRC, I have pointed out, that the natfeat makes direct JSR calls to
> > ROM
>
> No, it doesn't. Currently it uses the value of the __NF cookie as a
> pointer to a structure of two pointers (IIRC). These pointers are not
> fixed to point to ROM as I suppose FreeMiNT kernel would contain its own
> NatFeat code. And I believe that with your system of "private copies of
> cookies" we would be able to copy even the code that invokes the
> NatFeats physically (which are currently illegal opcodes) into process'
> private memory. So basically there would be no pointers outside of the
> process memory.

Is there any other cross OS solution how to iquiry some HW dependent
feature (cookie jar definitely is) usable for this? Gurus, speak. :)

> > it, it is simply yet another cookie-jar-alike thing with its famous pointers
> > to global memory. And after two-three years we will hear that memory
> > virtualization on MiNT is impossible, because of the precious nifty features
> > offerred by natfeat, which however makes VM no-work.
>
> As I explained above NatFeat cookie need not to point to global memory
> (thanks to the private copy of a cookie).

MiNT _can_ ask the cookie whether present during boot (we have the
original TOS patched to provide __NF cookie /at least I believe/ and
EmuTOS does provide this natively if compiled for ARAnyM) and then it can
simply copy the cookie contents into its private memory area of course (or
it can build up this structure by its own).

STan