Re: [MiNT] This fight

Hello!

> > You confuse me. First you speak about adding syscalls, now you refering to
> > driver modules. This are completly independant things.
>
> I said 'drivers'. For example the sound driver (which is not yet a
> module). Anyway, forget it for now (it's a discussion about
> TSR-after-MiNT which is another major topic and would increase the
> confusion even more).

Ah, so instead writing FreeMiNT drivers you want to write TSR (ok, I know
you want to support TOS and MagiC). From my FreeMiNT side it's not in my
scope to add support for TSR drivers.

> > And I still don't understand what do you want todo.
>
> I wanted to allow programmers to access the NatFeat interface as cleanly
> as possible under FreeMiNT.

But you don't want to abstract and generalize this stuff into the
operating system so that all users can profit of them. As I understand now
you only want a way to push your extensions through the kernel. Then see
at the end of the mail.

> > As I said, sysinfo() is a bad eaxmple. sysinfo() is a simple and
> > straightforward function and it works nice under TOS/MagiC too.
> > But now please explain which NatFeat feature sysinfo() requires.
>
> it could call the NF_NAME to obtain the host name.

Wrong, sysinfo() use gethostname() to obtain the hostname.

> > Syscalls are the only good way. But you must speak clearly which things
> > you like to add, e.g. you must define the syscall and it's arguments
>
> unsigned long nf_get_id(const char * feature_name);
> long nf_call(unsigned long feature_id, ...);
>
> These two calls are used for invoking the NatFeats from a C code.

Ah, to clarify, you just want a generic way to add anything you like and
get this pushed through the kernel.

This can, as I already mentioned, easily reached with a /dev/aranym. As
you want it aranym specific there is no need to enhance or develop
anything on the FreeMiNT kernel or VDI/AES side.

Ciao
   ...Frank

--
ATARI FALCON 040 // MILAN 060