Re: [MiNT] dd - access to block device

On Friday 30 of July 2004 10:55, you wrote:

> > > So if I understand correctly, dd could be adapted the same way
> > > (although this is a bit dangerous since the of/if-arguments can be
> > > files as well as devices), or as a nicer solution we'd need a sort of
> > > blockdev.xdd for raw access, which could then also be used for fsck and
> > > friends.
> >
> > Yes, this would be much better.

I would also welcome this solution. Please, anybody, do that.

> /dev/hdX or /dev/sdX could be only a thin layer above XHDI, hopefully.
>
> Note that I won't put it in my TODO list as I stopped updating it when
> its ever growing size prevented storing it on file system (we don't have
> support for large files (>>2GB) in MiNT yet, do we? ;-)

We even do not have the "simple tool" (as you called it on one Atari meeting)
which would handle missing XHDI functions for non-commercial disk drivers
(CBHD, Cecile, etc). Is it already in your (now frozen) TO DO list? Or could
somebody else work on it? Could the development of the new MiNT IDE driver
help with it?

Regards,

Bohdan Milar