Re: [MiNT] [Mint-cvs] [FreeMiNT CVS] lib/gemlib

tir, 12,.07.2005 kl. 20.41 +0200, skrev Arnaud BERCEGEAY:
> Hello,
>
> > I am sorry for my ignorance, but has there been any discussion on these
> > features to go to gemlib?
>
> AFAIK, no discussion... oh yes!, an "open discussion" where i pointed out
> some important problems, and the discussion ended with "goodbye" without
> any reply to the point i highlight.

 Please repeat your important problems, and I'll see if they are
possible to anwer.

> > I would rather see some sort of a consensus on
> > each particular new extension of AES before it gets to the the only
> > up-to-date library bindings.
>
> Me too :)
>
> Now, i wonder what's the best way : create a new branch in XAAES and
> remove the WCOWORK feature, or no more support XaAES in our
> developpments... or just change the main branch of XAAES (no need to
> discuss and get common agrement if i correctly understood).

 Please do what you like, I sure will do what I like. I've tried talking
to you why WCOWORK is a good thing, but replies like "snapping is a
thing noone uses, its useless" and "think about the USER" and "Dont make
new things as they wont work on other AES's". I wont take that nomore.
For your information, TosWin2 now uses WCOWORK. TosWin2 will therefore
forever work no matter what happens around its windows work area.

> This is not a problem of backward compatibility, this is a problem of
> death of the ongoing hudge work we started since years now in order to
> have a modularity approach of programming for *futur* AES applications.

 Enlighten me!

> Please open your eyes ! Wake up ! You're not the only one having ideas for
> the futur, and i don't understand why you want to kill our work (please
> gets the facts and list the real benefit of WCOWORK... it's really
> ridiculous).

 Again, enlighten me.

 biggest advandage of WCOWORK is, from an application authors point of
view, simplification (TosWin2 lost 7Kb or so when compiled for XaAES
only, have a look at the source). Second biggest advantage, again from
an application authors point of view, no need to worry about what goes
on around its windows WORK area. In combo with VDI support, WCOWORK will
allow for the AES to keep WORK areas of windows as offscreen buffers,
excellent for future stuff. Oh .. wont work on older AES.

> BTW, i do not agree on the stuff written in newcall.txt about WCOWORK. All
> the lines usually written with 2 pix heigh font at the bottom of the page
> are missing here.

 This documentation is far from complete, as is WCOWORK.

 I guess this means I will have to start a new branch of gemlib and
XaAES, because some cannot see past n.aes compatibility.

 Odd Skancke