Re: [MiNT] obsolete aout binutils?

Frank Naumann <fnaumann@boerde.de> writes:

> Hello!
>
>> Also you can read at
>> http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=5&topic=elf about "relocation
>> section". So I think ELF doesn't forget about this information.
>> Perhaps there are numerous different ELF variants? (Linux, FreeBSD, Sun,...)
>
> Normally only ELF object files (*.o) have relocation informations, not
> linked executables.

ELF does not place any restrictions on what kind of contents it can have
(among the content types defined for ELF).  It's all about conventions.
There is nothing preventing you from putting relocation information in an
ET_EXEC object.  And even if anything is missing in the ELF spec you can
easily define you own extensions.

Andreas.