Re: [MiNT] gcc 4.2.2 patch

MiKRO wrote:
I must admit that I'm not completely sure that the code generated with
GCC 4.2.2 is fully binary compatible with the libraries compiled with
GCC 2.95.3...
Vincent, I have to (again!) thank you for such good point! I
recompiled mintlib with gcc 4 and voila, quake is running!

Really good news, mystery (partially) solved !
I would be very interested about a quick Quake benchmark. Does the newest GCC produce better code than the old ? That's a real-world test !

However, that binary incompatibility smells bad. The binutils can't be an issue, because you used the old 2.13. Maybe there is something different in the internal configuration. It may be something tricky, such as structure alignment, or returning doubles or structures... It would be useful to manage to make a small testcase showing that problem.

I think the only task which is left is to compile freemint kernel and
then test if it works as usual..

Yes, it would be a good test !

In a next few days I'd like to try to compile binutils 2.18 and use
them with gcc4 compilation. If this succeed, I think we are ready to
rpm-ize them and use on regular basis.

That will be another step further. Then we will have a solid basis for making tests. I would like to discuss every part of the patches here, in order to decide what is good or not for the future official MiNT tools.

I finally managed to install EasyMiNT on ARAnyM !
I can now make tests with GCC 2.95.3.
I'm going to investigate further that problem with strtof and strtod. I had problem with them, I modified the configure of libstdc++-v3, now it works well when cross-compiling, but you still had problems on a native build, and you provide a quick fix. This is hiding some ugly bug in the configure stuff, we have to understand exactly what happens and fix it definitively.

2008 will be a great year for the MiNT development tools !

--
Vincent Rivière