Re: [MiNT] GCC 4.2.2 RPM build....

p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk wrote:
> I don't know of this is relevant but I wondered if there were any
> changes that should be fed-back to the GCC/GNU maintainers that
> might help FreeMint in the future ?

Of course, the official GNU maintainers need feedback from us !

The current patches contains:

1) MiNT specific code. Most of it is in the linker for generating TOS executables (the Great work from Guido Flohr !). Other binutils and GCC have very few features specific for MiNT. They just work out of the box (well... more or less !!!) The GNU maintainers don't have to know about MiNT specific features. Of course, it would be different if MiNT was an officially supported target...

2) Bug fixes. When I found a bug in the official sources, I always reported it to the official teams. Most of the time, it has been fixed. Note that I always reported the bugs for the m68k-linux or m68k-netbsd targets (after checking the problem was the same) in order to have chance get them fixed !

3) Fixes/workarounds for compiling the tools with GCC 2.95.3 (such as the problem for negative constants). Because such compiler is quite outdated, probably it would not be a good idea to include the workarounds in the official sources.

If we keep the tools up-to-date, maybe we could propose the MiNT platform as an officially supported host/target for the binutils and GCC ?
But our tools don't have the necessary maturity yet.

--
Vincent Rivière