Re: [MiNT] Binutils 2.18 + GCC 4.2.3

Hello Miro,

Things I had to patch:

- libgcc/libgcc020/libgcc060 creation -- for some strange reason 'ar'
(stage1/stage2/stage3, doesn't matter) command with the list of .o files to
link fails on "illegal instruction". Sometimes I've seen message I've
patched into mintlib ("increase TPA bla bla") which was quite surprising
since I used TPA = 8 MB. But it's very hard to debug (if not impossible)
since when I copy&paste this commandline into script, it creates library in
a seconds.

What sort of problem did you see with AR?  Like:

ar: B@//?: No such file or directory

If so, I am seeing wierdness with one item I have been trying to build, OpenTTD, which has a similar problem, been going back and forth with Vincent a little on it.

- 060 stuff: I wanted to cheat a little bit so I defined BOOT_CFLAGS = -O2
-m68060 just in (source tree) gcc/Makefile.in ... and guess what happend?
Nothing, my flags were completely ignored ;-) I'm not sure why, maybe it was
overriden by toplevel Makefile.in or ... no idea. This should result in
using 060 optimization for stage2/stage3 but as I say, I again compiled
68000 gcc ;-)

I think the process (or cheat) maybe for getting 060 optimized binaries would be to bootstrap the compiler with the new 060 multilib, and then pass the -m68060 parameter doing a rebuild (with --disable-bootstrap to configure), and let it die when it gets to the lib parts, which should be after executables are already produced. BTW, I tried -O3 and it increases the size of cc1 and cc1plus about 1 meg each, that size increase makes me think its more harm done than the speed increase. Just sharing.

Are there any things I could test? (Keith?) If anyone interested, I can
upload this gcc/binutils somewhere.

Some thoughts....

Latest Tar, might need some patches, but it will add bzip2 support which current tar lacks. I have successfully built it with GCC4, just seems wierd being much larger so I did not install it yet.

If you want to try a game, Maelstrom 3.0.6. It requires SDL and the SDL_Net libs (both available at Patrice's website, and both source archives should compile with minimal issues, some new issues exist now with some MintLib patches you did, just duplication though). LIBS=-lsocket ./configure and thats all I think you need to do. I've been working on patching it to run in TOS, and am at a point where I am unsure if the problem is my Falcon or the code. The stock source might have a few issues, but you should be able to run and play a game after doing a make install (I think the high score writing had a problem).

Try the mint kernel, see if you build a working one.

Could also try gzip, bzip2, libz, and libpng. I've been bulding png and z, but not the other 2.

You could also try PMDOOM from Patrice. Will have some conflicts with the MiNTlib patches, but nothing too serious. I was able to build this as well at one point.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Keith