Re: [MiNT] VDI? (was Re: an urgent GEM question :-)

on 12/26/08 1:17 PM, David Galvez wrote:

> it's clear that "our" free VDI should meet what NVDI already has, but
> which is the best starting point fVDI or oVDI? (problably merging both
> like Lonny said previously). But well in case somebody feels like
> doing it, it would be great that he has both in the Fremint repository
> to make the things easier to the supposed developer, that was what
> Petr was offering.
>
> Also would be nice to avoid different persons to work in difference
> VDIs (like happen with the AES), we are so few to waste resources, but
> also it's clear that we are here for fun mainly and if somebody wants
> to code a VDI or whatever from scratch because is his hobby is
> understandable. Although i hope not to see fVDI, oVDI or another VDI
> growing in parallel.

I do know ozk tried to reverse engineer NVDI but hit a brick wall.  He then
decided on some modular approach similar to nvdi so that all gfx cards and
modes could be implemented and so on. That's about all I can remember from
our conversations.

Only ozk can tell you why he implemented a fresh start.  I can't recall if
he ever said why.

It's a shame the nvdi source code is hidden in someones desk or closet
somewhere.  :-P

--
Lonny Pursell    http://www.bright.net/~gfabasic/