Re: [MiNT] an urgent GEM question :-)

>> could someone please help me with this off-topic question: I'd need to
>> position the mouse pointer/cursor at defined coordinates on screen. I
>> have tried using v_dspcur(x, y) but it didn't work. Even my PureC help
>> file mentions that the function actually never worked. I was curious
>> with the v_dspcur() - is it really wrong in all VDI versions? Or am I
>> just calling it incorrectly?

I don't think it was intended to work, in a graphics mode at least.
If you look at the actual VDI call number for v_dspcur() it's in the
same group as v_enter_cur(), v_exit_cur(), v_curdown(), v_eeol(),
v_rvon(), etc. That is, functions that mainly make sense for a text
based (non-graphics) mode.
I believe v_dspcur() and v_rmcur() were meant to display/remove the
hardware mouse cursor that some (all?) PC graphics cards made
available in text mode.

Still, I suppose it wouldn't have hurt to make the functions actually
useful on the Atari machines...
(Under fVDI, v_dspcur() currently does move the mouse (a relatively
"recent" change, IIRC), but then disables the internal event handling
meant to be used by a mouse driver (to force the mouse pointer to stay
where it was told to be).)

> I remember having the same problem ca. 10 years ago. AFAIR there are
> only two reliable ways of setting the mouse pointer:
>  1) Use appl_tplay(), that's the clean solution
>  2) Poke the address into the corresponding Line-A variables, that's
>    the ugly solution.

Using the lineA variables has never worked under fVDI (by design).

/Johan