Re: [MiNT] Gcc 3.3.6 v 4.0.1

Mark Duckworth wrote:
> In trying to build GMP with zorro's GCC 3.3.6 build many checks failed.
> This was due to the compiler!  Turns out Keith Scroggins already built
> gcc 4.0.1 and packaged it into an rpm (this will surely be useful for my
> efforts), http://www.radix.net/~kws/mint/old/.  His gcc compiles gmp and
> after adjusting stacksize of the tests, they all pass!  So I can move on
> to packaging gmp and moving on :)

That's really good news !
You had a very good idea by trying another compiler.

The only question here is: is the libgmp.a you just built compatible with gcc 2.95.3 ? You should check the following :
- build the libgmp RPM
- install it
- go to the GMP testsuite directory, and compile/run it by using gcc 2.95 and the newly installed libgmp.a - if all check passes, everything is ok, your RPM package is perfect, it can be released !
- if not... let's see.

Another way to go would be to cross-compile libgmp with my Cygwin cross-compiler gcc 4.3.3 (or another port). But "make check" cannot work when cross compiling, the tests would have to be copied to ARAnyM, and the makefiles probably don't support that things (?).

So keep in mind it some stuff can't be compiled natively due to a broken compiler, it can be usually cross-compiled: it may unlock some situations.

Thanks again for your efforts.

--
Vincent Rivière