Re: [MiNT] Gcc 3.3.6 v 4.0.1

In trying to build GMP with zorro's GCC 3.3.6 build many checks failed.  This was due to the compiler!  Turns out Keith Scroggins already built gcc 4.0.1 and packaged it into an rpm (this will surely be useful for my efforts), http://www.radix.net/~kws/mint/old/.  His gcc compiles gmp and after adjusting stacksize of the tests, they all pass!  So I can move on to packaging gmp and moving on :)
Interesting thing is it crashes also with gcc 2.95 (and I mean really *crashes*), I didn't go deeper, I just wanted to try to compile newest gcc 4.3 when I was at work (under aranym + easymint) -- a lot of problems here, be prepared. GMP is only start of all problems with the compilation :) It seems compile newest gcc is getting harder and harder with our old native 2.95 version.

Btw don't you think it would be wiser to use some tested gcc (i.e. that 2.95 or Vincent's cross compiled 4.3) to make such important things like semi-official packages? Keith's and Zorro's gcc can be full of bugs since they appeared many months before Vincent's attempt and as we know, Vincent fixed a *lot* of stuff there.

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org