Re: [MiNT] XaAES colour icon preference in >=16bpp?

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 01:30:52PM +0200, Peter Persson wrote:
> Have I missed something fundamental, or does XaAES prefer 4-bit
> icons  over 8-bit ones when running in hi/true colour?
>
> I've noticed this in Thing and Taskbar. Wouldn't it be better if
> it used the 8-bit ones?

At least Thing uses its own color icon routines, which (up to and
including version 1.27) are only able to use 8-bit icons with
8-bit color depths (as far as I remember, this is due to
difficulties in transfering an 8-bit bitmap into a true color
bitmap with correct colors). Later on (i.e. for the "latest" beta,
1.29beta), the color icon routines where enhanced to use
vr_transfer_bits() for this case, but as this is an NVDI 5
enhancement, it only works if the current VDI supports it.

Ciao

Thomas

                                                                                --
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de