Re: [MiNT] XaAES: detect pixel-format-problem

From: "Paul Wratt" <paul.wratt@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 7:48 AM
To: "mint" <mint@lists.fishpool.fi>
Subject: Re: [MiNT] XaAES: detect pixel-format-problem

I think (guess?) that had the pixel detection function been any
"better", the issue would never have been seen. In this case it would
have covered an underlying change (problem?), that there is a
difference in the kernels is not in doubt, having had a bit more time
to think about it, is it possible that the change is NOT the kernel,
but MINTLIB, which has also changed, and is used by both XaAES & the
kernel.

I don't think the MiNTlib is used by the kernel/XaAES.

MINTLIB handles the GEM side of things under MiNT does it not (if not
what does, as it has probably changed). Is this not the place that
contains the actual pieces of code that are the go between to
functions like "vcheckmode" and the ones that are used to fill XaAES's
"screen" object..

There is nothing in the kernel or AES that should interfere with screen layout
detection. All of this is pure VDI-stuff, and the kernel/XaAES should NOT
interfere with the return-values of VDI-calls. The only possibility I see is that the
VDI-bindings used by XaAES are broken, or that the pixel detection code in
XaAES has been changed.

MiNTlib doesn't do any VDI/AES-stuff. The gemx-library is used for this.

What kernel are everybody using to test this? Are you using the same binary?
Could it be that the 1.17 you're testing is built with a broken AES/VDI-library?

I think some of Ozk code may be from a time when underlying issue had
already arisen (in 1.17), but where not known, however, diff'ing XaAES
between 1.17 and 1.16.3 shows that XaAES has not changed in the area's
of rez setting and pixel format detection, just that a lot of work was

I think this code is pretty old, and I'm quite sure it predates 1.17.

Jo Even

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4650 (20091130) __________

http://www.eset.com