Re: [MiNT] File sizes

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:33 AM,  <p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
very useful

> The size limits seem to disagree with wikipedia
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2

I would say by reading it, those are Atari FS limits of 2Gb, not another OS.

BTW, if you format with FAT32, and you want larger than 32Gb, usable
on any OS that can read FAT32, you need to boot up a Windows 98SE
machine. I can do excesively large formats in FAT32, 500+ Gb, it did
2x120Gb HD no problem, but you need to know that 32Gb limit is
considered useful at around 16kb being the smallest block/cluster
size, 120Gb is around 64kb minimum (for the smallest piece of data
that can occupy a piece of the disk).

If everything goes well, I will try for a port of fuse and then
3g-ntfs, which I would recommend as a universal format (ntfs5) for
large drives.

BTW Fuse supports literally thousands of filesystems, including DB's,
GMAIL-FS, some other really strange stuff like MSX disk images,
Baldurs Gate BAM and BIF archives. hence its name, Fuse

> I am still puzzled how windos produced such a hige file from
> about 14 mins of video. More experimenting needed.

It is the quality of your recording, and its uncompressed as what
rate? 50 or 60 frames per second, and you have 14min :)

> Hopefully the USB drive will be readable on the ACP Coldari.
>
> Peter

I think once the usb drive driver is running, that the standard fs
drivers should be able to function with it, unless I am mistaken, in
which case there will be some very busy beavers bashing out various
drive fs's drivers, which should be converted to kernel module drivers
by the way.. (according to previous changelog recommendations)

Paul