Re: [MiNT] [Mint-cvs] [FreeMiNT CVS] freemint/sys/sockets/inet4

Odd Skancke wrote:
My main developmentenvironment is GCC 4.4.2/KDE on Fedora. On this beast, it takes 16 seconds to build the kernel from distclean. I dont want to loose that luxury :)

This is the voice of reason.

It is a fact that modern versions of GCC require strong hardware. It would be a nonsense to run it on older Atari machines, since the *exact* same result can be achieved with a cross-GCC running on a modern computer.

There are a lot of people that hate cross-compilers. Fortunately, it is not the case of everyone. I hope the developers of games on GameBoy or cell phones don't run GCC on that hardware :-)

Be sure that bytes are clean entities. The bytes produced by GCC running on Atari hardware and the ones produced on a cross-GCC running on Windows or Linux are exactly the same. One to one. They don't smell bad.

For me, the choice has been made for a long time. I use my main modern computer to write and compile programs, then I can run them on my favourite hardware (or emulators).

vice versa, it will be very difficult keeping this under control via #ifdefs within a single source tree. And I hate these kinds of #ifdefs :-)

What are those huge differences ?
GCC 4.x is more picky than earlier versions, thus the code has sometimes to be cleaned up. But the resulting code should work perfectly on older compilers. Or except extremely specific cases.
Am I wrong ?

--
Vincent Rivière