Re: [MiNT] Libcurl-ssl / RPM package

m0n0 a écrit :
That mean's when compiling for -m68020, the FPU is completly ignored, too.
Right?

On GCC 2.x, -m68020 means 68020 without FPU.
On GCC 4.x, -m68020 means 68020 with a mandatory FPU.
This is a difference.

And I highly recommend to compile any FPU software with -m68020-60 since this is the option we have chosen for standard multilibs.

I know that an FPU can speed up floating point operations dramatically,
and floating point math is involved alot in encryption / decryption - as
far as I know.

The problem with floating point is the fact it is imprecise by design: there are rounding errors. Most of times, it doesn't matter because they are extremely small. But encryption/decryption software needs to be 100% accurate. I suspect these algorithms to use integer math only.
Well, I don't know.

Anyone here has numbers regarding the speedup when using the FPU? I would
at least expect values like 100% speed inprovement ;)  But maybe I'm
totally wrong?

For standard software: no gain.
For math/3D software: huge gain.

--