Re: [MiNT] trunk-09082010 file structure / content

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 08:47 +0200, Miro Kropacek wrote:
> > Memory protection isn't supported on 020.
> >
> > Basically we turn on -m68020 and -DM68000 for the 020 build.
> And do we really need this? :) Who will use this kernel? It's a known
> rule -- more choices to user, more confusion. I think we should really
> stick to basic 000 (ST/STE), 030 (TT/Falcon), 040 (AB40/CT60), Mil
> (Milan/Hades) and v4e (Coldfire, when you say someone is using it).
> Frank's goal was to eliminate number of release kernels to 1-2, I
> assume for STs (minimal memory), 020+ (from TT to CT60) and ok, maybe
> ColdFire as the third.
>
> There's no single advantage to have kernel for each CPU (I accept your
> choice for mintlib, here it makes more sense, freedom of choice for
> developer).

Well, think of what ones we need.

mintara.prg
mintmil.prg
mint000.prg

And that's it, so we have three to start with. Now, I'm sure people with
060's won't want to run the mint000.prg build, so we'll end up with
mint060.prg too, and people with 040's will probably be the same.

So the 020 option really ends up being only one more.

Now, getting back to a "MiNT loader" in this area would be nice. We just
have MINT.PRG in the AUTO Folded and then...

c:\mint\1-17-0\000\
c:\mint\1-17-0\020\
c:\mint\1-17-0\060\
c:\mint\1-17-0\v4e\

And so on. We don't have to have all installed. The MiNT loader could
detect the CPU and set things up from there.

If we have a 060 but only have 000 then that's fine, we use that. So
there's a little bit of logic in the loader and we're good.

But when we have a Falcon and switch between a CT60 and native, this
becomes really nice to be able to switch between the 030 and 060 builds
automatically.

Alan.