Re: [MiNT] trunk-09082010 file structure / content

> processor in mind. Currently the XDD, XFS's and XIF's are compiled for
> 68000 and are not optimal for other CPU's.
It isn't as simple as that. Many drivers (esp. network ones) are made
for one specific CPU / machine type -- typically, EtherNAT doesn't
need anything but 060, some Riebl cards have separate versions for ST,
STE and TT, so they manage CPU flags on their own, maybe even contains
inline asm for each CPU.

> Then "make install" would prepare everything for that target CPU, then
> we re-run the build with another CPU to generate another tarball etc,
> etc, etc.
Why not. Personally I always tweak KERNELDEFS and XAAESDEFS to disable
all CPUs but 060 (CT60) and ARA (Aranym) as I really don't need the
others. Question is, if we wont make life harder to power users /
developers who like to test multiple configurations -- i.e. they do
'cvs up' and want to build all desired kernels at once (like my
example with CT60 and Aranym).

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes
http://mikro.atari.org