Re: [MiNT] Conholio v0.8

Hey Nicolas,

17 sep 2010 kl. 16.37 skrev Trecourt Nicolas:
> Thanks for this new release.

Thank You for trying it! :)

> I noticed the redraw speed is like twice as fast it was on 0.7 on my
> stock falcon.
> Some odd problems were solved, like a bug when redrawing the first two
> left columns when using tmux with a vertical split.
> For a two-day hack, the VT10x code is impressive, better than toswin2
> on some corner case.

Nice to hear that. I'm surprised to hear that the bug you describe went away, since I don't think I've touched the terminal emulator part for quite a while. Then only changes I can remember are related to the character encoding, which should finally resemble how Linux and VT100 terminals handle that stuff.

Improving the terminal emulation is however the next thing on my todo-list. First step was to get the basic terminal engine fast enough, and I think it's getting there.

> Some improvement that would be nice would be able to use fonts that
> are not 8 pixel wide, like the one I use with telvt102 on my ST (5x6).
> I could be usefull on stock falcon to have a widest terminal on
> 800x600 (I use two irssi on a vertical split... :).

Have you tried the "WIN_HALF_X" option? Basically it turns any font with a width of 8 pixels into a quasi-antialiased 4-pixel dito.

The reason for sticking to an 8-pixel font (or 4-pixels, in case you enable "WIN_HALF_X" in conholio.cfg <-- or whatever the option is called, I don't remember), is simple: Speed.

However - several people have requested what you ask for, which means it will be implemented. At least partially. With 6-pixel fonts, I could probably get similar speeds, so that's what I'm going for.

Could this be sufficient (this means you'll be able to use fonts width a width of 4, 6 or 8 pixels).

> PS: I have a strange bug in emacs, [backspace] sends something else,
> and [del] sends backspace. It does not happens in nano, irssi, mutt,
> ..., only emacs.

Interesting. I'll look into this when I work on the terminal emulation. It's possible that the linux console allows keyboard strings to be modified during runtime, and I have absolutely zero support for that stuff right now.

It could also be related to the termcap/terminfo file (try updating to a recent one), but ironically I'm fairly clueless as to how that stuff works :)

-- PeP