Re: [MiNT] Idea for boot sequence

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:52:55 , Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.co.uk> wrote:

> > Yes it would, there would be a much greater possibility of getting
> > back into Mint-XaAES and being able to fix it.
> >
> > People seem to be happy with having hack their way out of non-booting
> > situations. I was just suggesting a simple change that would make it
> > infinitely more user friendly if/when it goes wrong.
>
> Repeatable Peter, you already have a "stable" 1.15.x release, so why not
> boot that to recover ?

If the sym link in /usr/bin is still pointing to xaloader then it is not
possible to start 1.15.12 and NAES then I have to start the farce of
booting in TOS editing mint.cnf to boot to a shell. Rebooting in Mint
so I can delete the symlink. Reboot, etc. etc.

So why not take advantage of the optional Mint folders and make them
available when the Mint kernel loads ? Why rely on the hard-coded folder
being perfect ?  I hate hard-coded stuff like this.

I don't see why there is such opposition to a more flexible system.

1.15.12 is so ancient now it would be good to delete it once we have
a stable release.

Peter