Re: [MiNT] Idea for boot sequence

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 13:19 +0200, Peter Slegg wrote:

> Would it be possible to allow the user to select the possible boot
> folder at the mint.ini menu ?
>
> eg If I am booting a 1-xx-yy kernel then the mint.ini menu would show
>
> 1-16-3
> 1-17-0
> 1-17-1
> 1-17-CUR
>
> and then allow me to pick one to boot from.
>
> This would make it a bit easier to recover in such siutations.
> The mint.ini file might have to be moved to c:\AUTO

I don't like this for two reasons:

1. You can only have one mint.ini which will be common for all kernels.
2. It breaks the intention of having multiple system folder. The naming
scheme is there to make sure that the kernel use the *correct* system
folder. Allowing the user to mix kernels and system folders from
different versions will only introduce new "bugs".

The solution is simple: Boot to TOS and correct your mistake.

Jo Even