Re: [MiNT] XaAES multi-language help needed

Hi,

2011/1/16 Lars Schmidbauer <latzmaster@gmx.de>
Hello,

i didn't expect so much response from countries which characters are not present in
Atari character-set; thank you all for your efforts.
But, to be honest, i'm confused about what is basically needed to display such characters
on Atari.
"only" a font which replaces the systemfont (with NVDI or fvdi)?

I don't know how LVA accessory (for russian) works,  LVA was written by Vladimir Levitskiy in about 1988
and this man is not on scene anymore.

Regards,
Lars

I am surpised you didn't.:)

Your assumption is correct, all is needed is a suitable set of fonts (255 characters long for ISO encoding or whatever for UTF, couldn't understand how that works). It's also possible to replace the system font without NVDI but that is generally not clean and doesn't work with MiNT. I have created a greek language pack with instructions on how this is done that you can download from here.   http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/dbugforums/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1259857439

The LVA accessory like the greek accessory or auto folder program probably work the same way. They replace the system font and change the way the keyboard responds to keypresses so that it accesses the characters.

 I haven't found a font editor that would read one type of  bitmap font and convert it to the atari fnt type. Fontkit+ could be used to convert a preexisting atari font (such as the ones I have but use the cp737 msdos encoding) if you are willing to spend the quite a few hours required for this and for the 4 font sizes but they are probably copyrighted and thus non distributable through MiNT. What I am looking at is converting some free fonts in bitmap format (bdf, psf, pcf) to the atari fnt one. Unfortunately I am too bad a coder to do this. I don't give up though :).

@Bohdan thanks for looking into it :)

Regards
Christos