Re: [MiNT] XaAES multi-language help needed

Hi,

2011/1/16 Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no>

The problems begin once you replace the system font with an ISO-font.
Text-files, filenames and even UI widgets will be incorrect.

Switching to a different character will only work for some. The
character set that works for you might not work in France or Norway.
Converting between character sets will always be needed as long as we
use 8 bit character sets. And it's too late to switch to unicode. That
must have happened 15 years ago when applications were still developed.

Jo Even

Exactly, a text file or a filename will be incorrect when read in France or Norway as long as it doesn't use the standard ASCII characters. But seeing that I rarely need to read a french txt file on my greekenised atari that is something I can live with and also it's possible that I can load the appropriate font in order to read it. However being unable to read greek filenames is annoying. And a greek character set will not work for any other language any more than a cyrillic one would. It's not just a matter of the encoding but also that the glyphs are different.
I understand that I will not be able to read german programs very well, infact I can see that german words have greek characters in them with the encoding I am using atm. I am afraid that it can't be helped but switching to UTF -8 or 16 is probably not likely to happen.

Regards
Christos