Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT binaries and CPU specific versions

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 21:00 +0200, Miro Kropáček wrote:
>>         I did, but you all f*cking hated it :-D so I threw it in the
>>         toilet. But no worries, I've got no hard feelings about
>>         that :-D
>> Actually, I've re-read the whole thread again and there was only one
>> guy with some let's say neutral comments and that was Jo Even and even
>> he has agreed in the end it's useful and makes sense.
>
> Well, that's stretching it a bit ;) If somebody writes such a tool
> (which should be pretty easy now that xaloader selects which kernel
> module to load according to CPU) I have absolutely no problem with that.
> I still think that the usability is pretty much limited to CT60-owners
> who needs to boot MiNT in 030-mode, but as long as such a tool is
> optional I see no problem in adding it to the FreeMiNT sourcetree.
>
> Jo Even

the flipside to your argument is a single loader that could handle all
machine types, making distribution of a (make all) folder structure
more useful (ie something that could be copied and run out of the box)

another way to look at it is:
we are talking about mint here, so the use of install scripts based on
ARCH+PLATFORM should not be ignored.

no matter how it is done, as long as you start with a sub folder
structure that will boot when copied, then less work needs to be done
by a boot loader or install script..

Paul