Re: [MiNT] FreeMiNT binaries and CPU specific versions

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 06:42:06 +0200, Paul Wratt <paul.wratt@gmail.com> wrote:

There is one fundamental error with this approach: Scripts ;) Way to
complex and s-l-o-w, and it's about as userfriendly as a square wheel.
It's much easier with an optional loader in AUTO and the actual kernel
in $SYSDIR. You don't have to mess with symlinks (which btw needs MiNT
to work on a real machine, so the loader will never find $SYSDIR), the
loader does everything for you without a single script or config-file.

where is your working solution Jo?

I don't have one, simply because I ran into the same problem as you. You can't tell MiNT where $SYSDIR is located. I have made a very simple loader that's located in AUTO. It scans <boot>:\mint and it's subfolders for all occurences of mint*.prg and presents these in a very simple menu. This is working, but currently there are two big problems:

1. As I said, you can't tell MiNT where $SYSDIR is. So this approach only works when choosing between releases or between release and current. Not *that* useful to me as I primarily want to test the latest build and keep the latest good one too. 2. With this approach, mint*.prg is located in $SYSDIR. The problem with this is that MiNT looks for itself in AUTO when it runs programs from the AUTO-folder. It has to do this to determine which programs to run - programs located before mint.prg has already been started by TOS.

Both problems can be fixed. There are of course other issues with this loader that makes it unsuitable for release (extremely crude menu, no error checks...) but I only wrote it to confirm that MiNT can be run from other folders than AUTO without problems.

Jo Even