Re: [MiNT] gradients,FreeMiNT 1.18

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 13:28:25 +0200, Helmut Karlowski <helmut.karlowski@ish.de> wrote:

Sure - that's true, but for the user it's not difficult to make changes
to a gradient-file once there's a c-compiler around. It's easier than to
create tbl-files because it all has names and more structure.

The tbl-files can be created with KeyEdit. I doubt it's easier to to modify C source ;)

The grd-files only contain data, they could be produced by any other
program as well.

Aren't they object-files?

Most people won't even have gcc on their Ataris (I don't). I'm quite sure

pure-c works also (didn't test ahcc, but it should do as well).

Most people don't have a C compiler at all.

that there must be an easier way to create and load those grd-files. I can
maybe do this if you can explain to me in more detail how gradients are
defined in XaAES.

Sorry - I can't. I created some by trial/error.

But if you're really interested, I'll have a closer look.

Yes, I'm interested. I believe the gradients can be represented in a much simpler but still structured and readable text format. It might even be possible to write a GEM-program to edit and pre-view them.

Jo Even