Re: [MiNT] gradients,FreeMiNT 1.18

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 19:03:46 +0200, Paul Wratt <paul.wratt@gmail.com> wrote:

The tbl-files can be created with KeyEdit. I doubt it's easier to to modify
C source ;)

dude (and others) have a look at the gradients, ALL of them, then have
a look at the gradient algorithms
we are NOT talking about a SIMPLE A=B, it is much more complex than that

I've seen the gradient struct, and the struct itself is very simple. A lot simpler than the keyboard tables.

ALSO, no matter how gradients are load, at compile time they must be
present as C structs, end of story, so why go to the trouble of
inventing a second wheel

You are very, very wrong. Yes, the STRUCT must be there, but the DATA doesn't have to be there at compile time.

Yes, I'm interested. I believe the gradients can be represented in a much
simpler but still structured and readable text format. It might even be
possible to write a GEM-program to edit and pre-view them.

Jo Even
you are wrong here Joe, they are already about as simple as you can
get, in that they support compact and clean definition, while being
clean and simple (read: fast & res lite) to execute

No, I'm not wrong.

I believe the real answer to ANY arguments here, is a preview app that
generates an equivalent "binariy object", as well as load and save
gradient config files (which just happen to also be c source files)

Which is *exactly* what I'm talking about. Except that the gradients should not be defined as C source, but in a more appropriate format that is more easily handled by code. Try writing a C source parser and compare that to parsing xml ;) Also, if I understand Helmut correctly the gradients are now simply object files. A dedicated gradient editor will be able to save them in a format that is much easier to load.

and to top it off, the is no reason why a bunch of .GRD files can not
be part of the build process (and therefore, the archive)

Nope, but then they can just be compiled into the binary to make it even easier. The point in loadable gradients must be to allow people to make them themselves. Very few will do that if they have to write them in C and install (and learn to use) a C compiler.

Jo Even