Re: [MiNT] on Mega ST

Hi m0n0,

>  Was there any final conclusion on this topic?
>
>  What does work, and what not? What about ext2? Mintnet (test with
>  loopback, to be sure there is no driver problem)?

I wrote a conclusion what does work and what not and add a report about
my test with a Biodata DMA network node. The problems are similar
between Megat ST and Mega STE.

As far as i remember:

- It is not possible to create a folder with "-" from desktop.
  As fallback MiNT willl also use the <bootdrive>:\MiNT folder.
  I remember a generic GEM installer. I think, it should be very easy
  to write a script for this installer for install MiNT. Maybe
  this can also solve the directory problem and it was a easy
  way to get a GEM installer for MiNT.

- ext2 will not run on 68000
  I dont know if someone will change this, but with minix fs is a
  "workarond" present.

- network dummy driver will crash
  I did not read any mail about a investigation of this problem.

- biodata dma driver will crash.
  Because both mintnet drives crash, i assume a problem in mintnet
  itself. But i did not read any mails about a investigation of this
  problem.

As far as i rememberm there are no other known problems.

>  I have my Mega-ST running again, it has 15 MB Ram, should be enough for
>  MiNT,

This will allow you to run some GEM apps in the MiNT environment. On
my Mega ST with 4 MB is not enough memory free to run a MiNT
environment with huge GEM applications. It was only enough to run
some smaller applications like QED for modify the configuration files.

Best regards
Michael