Re: [MiNT] zview

Peter Slegg wrote:

> I think that the current Mint/XaAES is more stable than 1.15.12/NAES
> used to be.

Never used N.AES but I remember I always used up to three different
kernels to boot for different tasks. These days are definitely over!

> It very rarely crashes on me. I did see some very odd behaviour
> yesterday but that was a one-off after running gcc builds for over
> 24 hours.
>
> In a bash window I typed pwd <enter>  and logout <enter> appeared !
> The I went to the toswin2 menu and clicked on open a new window and a
> dialogue appeared saying St-Guide is not installed. This happened for
> every menu item. Then Thing crashed so I rebooted.
>
> I had been running zView and lots of other stuff so I doubt this could
> be repeated.
>
> Very strange indeed.

In the end this should not happen either, but I'm afraid there are just
too many buggy apps (including MiNT) around that you'll not easily get a
stable system with MP on. If there would be more users/developers this
could change, but I doubt that.

I personally don't use anything that won't run with MP on my real
system, but to stabilize MiNT I test everything on aranym wich has a lot
to suffer ;)

> I had another thought, when MP is off, could it warn you if MP rules are
> violated ?  This would allow the user to run without MP but be aware that
> an app is doing something bad. I am not sure how MP is implemented so this
> might not be possible. It may have prevented people from writing bad apps
> in the past.

Something like soft-MP? I'm no expert, but I think the CPU runs in a
different mode if MP is on, and without you can't detect the violations.

-Helmut