Re: [MiNT] Network tools

2012/1/17 Miro Kropáček <miro.kropacek@gmail.com>:
>> Does anyone know if the Gentoo stuff that has been ported supports the
>> wireless ifconfig options ?
>
> I think you don't get it. The "options" are nothing more than communication
> with a driver. The driver can accept virtually anything but of course, there
> has been some conventions defined. The point is, you can't support this in
> ifconfig unless you know how your kernel API looks like. And making just
> dummy functions pretending they understand some specific wireless
> extensions... that makes no sense at all.
>
> First a device, then a driver, then a kernel API, then a ifconfig change.
>
> (I might be wrong of course but since we've been developing our very own
> network wifi driver for QNX, I can say ifconfig wasn't any of our concern).

First, you really need 801.11 stack in kernel. This does not mean
drivers - just infrastructure needed by it (wifi authorization support
etc.). Then you can work on both sides: drivers and userspace tools,
using this infrastructure from different sides.

--
Semper Fidelis

Adam Klobukowski
adamklobukowski@gmail.com