Re: [MiNT] New RPM: c-ares

Am Samstag, den 10.03.2012, 15:51 +0100 schrieb Peter Slegg <p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk>:

I take it you haven't been able to get access to approve packages ?

I have tested the binaries with aranym. I did not test the it under coldfire or real conditions ( netsurf + curl + c-ares ).

I might try to build HIghwire with the new png lib. I wonder if c-ares
would be a benefit too ?

Maybe you need to take the libpng version then into account? I don't know if there are some incompatible
functions, which may need #ifdefs or such (?).

c-ares would may be a benefit for Highwire + MiNT net, but only when you visit a page which includes many content from different host names. Also highwire is probably written with blocking gethostbyname() in mind.

Depending on the DNS caching implemented in MiNT lib, c-ares maybe gives better results than MiNTlibs
DNS cache. But I doubt that.

However, you could write some highwire component which resolves new hostnames within page content asynchronous.
That could be done after the page is rendering and network is idle.

Greets,