Re: [MiNT] How to use cross compiling on Ubuntu (dummy question)

Hello, Heinz.

I just set up an Ubuntu 12.04 32bit system and installed Vincents
cross-mint-essentials as described

Excellent choice :-)

Now I'm a bit confused how to use this environment. Especially I'm
confused about how to tell GCC to build m68k-mint binaries and to use
the mintlib

As MiKRO said:
Just use the "m68k-atari-mint-gcc" command instead of "gcc". Then you will produce MiNT/TOS binaries. That's all!

You can also do "man m68k-atari-mint-gcc" to see the documentation.

If you want to compile classic Linux software using configure scripts for MiNT, just add "--host=m68k-atari-mint" on the configure command line. That's all. Beware, a lot of Linux software packages are broken for cross-compilation, they require additional minor hacking. See the build scripts on my web pages:
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/archives/mint/

I assume I need to set some environment variables like PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to make sure make uses the cross compile
environment.

Do not mess that!
The Ubuntu packages are clean and installed at the right place, just install and run.

Have nice compilation.

--
Vincent Rivière