Re: [MiNT] Software packaging (was: opkg / coldmint)

Am Sonntag, den 17.02.2013, 09:10 +0100 schrieb Matthias Arndt <marndt@asmsoftware.de>:

How about packaging systems with a more GEM setup without unix
infrastructure in mind? That would be more useful for actual
non-developer users. No installer apps necessarily....

Hmmm... actually, a package management tool also keeps track of the
installed files, it's easy to resolve dependencies, remove installed
software and list the tools that you already have installed.

I agree that this is mostly not required for GEM GUI tools. But for
commandline tools and developer packages (libs) it is not uncommon
to have dependencies on other tools, and also you can't keep track of
the files contained within an installation for yourself (because of the
unix file structure - when everything would be installed into an application
specific directory, it would be easy...).

Actually, I wanted to focus on user applications with coldmint, not development files... I want to provide shell tools, not libs... (with opkg you have the same multiarch problem as with rpm..., ok, maybe it's abit more easy, but an package repository is AFAIK arch dependent).

So, an simple installation script for pkg files is easy,
and it works at the best speed. But it won't be able to keep track
of installed files... Is that acceptable? I don't think so...

Greets,
Ole