Re: [MiNT] XaAES tempering with XBIOS resolution

2014-01-29 Jo Even Skarstein <joska@online.no>:
On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 16:13 +0100, Miro Kropáček wrote:

> Pep once tried to point out at this and the code is still there. So is
> there anybody in the list making a sense of this? (for non-technical
> audience, this code checks, whatever resolution is, if we're running
> on VGA and hicolor and if yes, force it from 80 columns to 40, i.e.
> 320 pixels, i.e. half resolution which makes not very nice things once
> you want to specify 1920x1080x16bit, right?)

Well, is 80-column hi-colour VGA a valid mode on a standard
Falcon/Videl? I'd say it isn't. The question is whether XaAES should
bother or not.

That's the thing - it could be. If someone writes a utility which provides this resolution as a virtual screen for example, the AES shouldn't ruin that. And in the current XaAES implementation, the user can still provide illegal modecodes and get bad output anyway. So these lines just mess things up and force people to use ugly workarounds. Details about low level video is the responsibility of the XBIOS, not the AES.

-- PeP