Re: [MiNT] Gentoo

On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 19:45:59 , Peter Slegg <p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:52:48 , Peter Slegg <p.slegg@scubadivers.co.uk> wrote:
> > I haven't looked deeply into Gentoo because I didn't want
> > to confuse my mainly sparemint based set-up.
> >
> > It looks like Alan has put a lot of work into building quite
> > a lot of packages.
> >
> > Does portage work with these binaries in a similar way to
> > rpm ?
> >
> > I downloaded portage but I think it needs python >= 2.7 and I
> > currently have 2.3.4 from Sparemint so some preliminary work
> > is needed to get started with gentoo.
> >
> > Is python-exec needed ?
> >
> > Peter
> >

> I know Alan advised against trying to manually switch to gentoo
> but I gave it a try.
>
> Installed gentoolkit and then python 3.3 from Alan's files.
> Then it required pyhton-exec which got some of the gentoolkit
> files running.
>
> Next I added portage-utils.
>
> Most of of e* files in /usr/bin are now available. There is
> no emerge so I tried some of the other commands:
>
> bash-4.3# eread --help
> /usr/bin/eread: line 11: portageq: command not found
> /usr/bin/eread: line 18: portageq: command not found
> ELOG directory: /var/log/portage/elog does not exist!
>

> I think there may be a file corruption because I am getting strange
> errors like this:
>
> bash-4.3# epkginfo
> /usr/bin/epkginfo: unable to stat symlink at /usr/bin/epkginfo@         SÇjâB«¯ôB«¯°EùTê/<: No such file or directory
>

> Peter

I just found the proper portage package and installed that as well.

A little progress:

bash-4.3# emerge --search pdf
Unknown option: -b
usage: /usr/bin/python [option] ... [-c cmd ¦ file ¦ -] [arg] ...
Try `python -h' for more information.

As suspected it is running my old version of python:

bash-4.3# python -V
Python 2.3.4

I changed python to default to python 3.3 and I have got emerge and
eread working but it is really slow.

Does anything have to be configured ?

Regards,

Peter