[Freemint-list] fVDI driver for WinUAE: UAEGFX.SYS

Vincent Rivière vincent.riviere at freesbee.fr
Mon Feb 13 14:10:17 MSK 2017

Hello.

I'm proud to announce that I have written an fVDI driver for WinUAE, named
UAEGFX.SYS. Currently, it only supports 16-bit video modes, with any
resolution. It is similar to ARAnyM's fVDI driver: the main drawing
primitives are accelerated by the emulator, providing a great speed boost.

You can see the result there, with EmuTOS, FreeMiNT and XaAES:
https://s3.postimg.org/581wg89yr/xaaes_uaegfx.png

Don't be mistaken, even if it looks like an ARAnyM setup, it is really an
Amiga emulator running standard Atari software :-)

Download page:
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/archives/mint/fvdi/

Details:

1) I wrote that driver 3 years ago, but a few details were missing. I
recently kicked my ass to finish that work, now it is done, and well done.

2) Scoop: Johan Klockars plans to put official fVDI sources on GitHub. He is
currently gathering his old pre-CVS backups, in order to rebuild the full
history. The result will be more complete than the current SVN repository on
SourceForge.

3) As Johan's new repository is not available yet, I have put all my fVDI
work on GitHub, in my own profile:
https://github.com/vinriviere/fvdi/
The upstream branch is synchronized with official fVDI SVN repository on
SourceForge.
The master branch contains all my work, including fVDI engine bugfixes and
new uaegfx driver. The patch provided on the my download page is generated
from this branch.

4) Limitation: currently, this driver does not work with official EmuTOS for
Amiga binaries (either ROM or floppy). You need to manually build a special
ROM with AROS support enabled. You can use that ROM for yourself, but due to
license issue, you can't redistribute it. I plan to rewrite the AROS
initialization code under GPL to fix that issue, but that will be another story.

This demonstrate how portable is our FreeMiNT environment :-)

--
Vincent Rivière