[Freemint-list] RPM packages

Thorsten Otto admin at tho-otto.de
Fri Mar 17 03:20:06 MSK 2017

On Friday 17 March 2017 00:37:14 Miro Kropáček wrote:
> Of course! :-) https://freemint.github.io/sparemint/sparemint/ (there's a
> link in the main site, https://freemint.github.io, too)

Oh. I did not see that link. Also, the link on the project page to the
github.io is easy to miss.

>the packages are so old that it's perhaps not worth the effort (on the other
>hand, they are tested and often specifically patched for FreeMiNT)

Thats one of the reasons i asked this. Would be nice to have some newer
version of at least some of them. I think thanks to mintlib which is based on
glibc, the effort for each package should not be so large. Only problem is
that there are so many of them...

>fix compilation errors on newer (4.6.4) gcc

I would bet than in newer versions of the packages, most of these problems are
already fixed.

>RPM is in general not very cross compiler friendly (at least the older
>versions)

You can specify the same configure command that you would when compiling them
manually. I see more problems with cross-compiling in general, because several
packages make bad guesses when they cannot execute the tests, and mintlib is
unfortunately not detected as glibc system. Most packages that use the gnulib
modules are affected by this. The gmake there for example has severe problems
with the current directory, because the (working) getcwd() function from
mintlib is replaced by a broken wrapper.