Re: MiNT goes UNIX. I hope not.

What you wrote:
> Anyway, what IS so wrong about getting closer to the world's de-facto open
> standard? Surely you should be praising people for trying to bring TOS into
> the main stream of real-world computing.

I think what Annius was advocating against was the people that want to throw
away all things GEM and TOS and make their ST a "UNIX" box, sort of.

> Bringing the filesystem roadmap into a standard can only help people who
> want to run free software from the net as people will only need to download
> binary distributions with standard install scripts.
>
> There will be no more "I downloaded package X but I can't get it working on
> my system" or "which environment variable does this package use to find the
> temporary directory" questions as the paths can be hard-coded. The OS does
> all the fiddly bits of working out which drive /tmp or /var/spool/mail etc
> are on. This is as it should be. Let the OS, not the user, take the strain,
> that's what it's there for.

Yes!  I'd like to get the filesystem roadmap done ASAP so I can start
moving things around in anticipation of all this great new software...  ;-)

--
Chris Herborth        \`o.0'                   herborth@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM