Re: Filesystem compatability ...

In <9401141119.AA08025@nyx.cs.du.edu>, Stephen Henson writes:

> Personally I'm in favour of run time code if at all possible. This has the
> advantage of not requiring recompilation or two binary versions. This could
> be made fairly transparent. E.g. for a shell if $HOME is on a Minixfs partition
> use .shellrc if GEMDOS shell.rc .

Consider the statement:

        fd = creat( "/home/shenson/.shellrc", S_IRWXO | S_IRWXG );

It would be very nice if there were a tos filesystem driver that would
translate the filename into shell.rc, it might even be possible to write
such an intelligent driver (using a config file to find out what kind of
translation should be done). Is it realistic? Maybe...

Ofcourse this would only work under MiNT, not under plain Gemdos. So the
filename translation would have to be done by the creat() library function.
The creat() function would have to find out on what type of filesystem the
/home/shenson directory is located and, if appropriate, translate .shellrc
to shell.rc . Is it possible? Might be. Is it realistic? I don't think so.

> Alternatively there is lways the possibility of binary configuration,
> this is very easy with the nlist() finction. I can post an example of how
> to do this if anyone isn't sure and it's the most compact solution.

Please post or send e-mail to me, whatever you think is more appropriate.

Regards,
           Waldi  (walra%moacs11@nl.net)