Re: load average patches for MiNT 1.10 + patches

>>From experiments, the increase in overhead is so little that I couldn't
>>measure the speed difference on my 520STM with 2.5MB RAM. (This is not my
>>development system.. I use my TT and Sun 3/80 for that.)
>
>But dont' forget MiNT is designed to be compatible with STs, and with
>everything new going into it their has to be a lose somewhere. IMO hitting
>the _hz_200 counter routine is calling it either four times too much
>( 4/200 = 1/50 ) or downto three times too much.( 3/200 :==: 1/70 ).
>As your timer was only ment to be accurate to the second, a change of
>magnitude of one is fine, ie accurate to 1/10 second. dont you think ?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here...

Firstly, as I said before, I always test things on my old 520STM as well as
on my TT.

Secondly, the bulk of the routine, ie all but 5 assembler instructions are
only being run ONCE per second, not once every 1/50th or /160th or 1/70th of
a second. The load average code itself, ie not the uptime monitor only runs
once every FIVE seconds. Are you telling me that this is still too much
computation which will slow the poor old 68000 based STs to a crawl?

>Bye now,
>
>  Darryl

>| email through the InterNet to :-   drpiper@cix.compulink.co.uk |

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).