Re: MiNT Copyright (was: MiNT 1.11 ? are we ready for it now ?)

>My interpretation of the copying conditions is that nobody is allowed
>to distribute modified versions of MiNT 1.10 except Atari Corp. or
>somebody with a license from Atari Corp.  To distribute your own version
>of MiNT you'd have to go back to 0.95 (which was freely redistributable,
>even in modified form, given that a few conditions were met (e.g., don't call
>it "MiNT")) and apply the patches that have been posted to this list.
>
>I regard this restriction a serious loss.  MiNT is not the free operating
>system it once was.

I thought MiNT not the multitos version of it, belonged to Eric ? so he
surely has the say on this.....  provided he removes the multitos code
supplied by Atari or whilst working in Atari time.

>Anyone from Atari listening?  Would it be possible to lift these restictions
>a bit?

yeah, like maybe its time to copy Acorn and release code probably destined
to never be finished into the public domain.

Bye now,

         Darryl

| email through the InterNet to :-   drpiper@cix.compulink.co.uk |